For some, the thought of having multiple credit cards is a scary thought. Maybe they are afraid they won’t be able to keep track of their spending or just not be able to resist the urge to max them all out, but there are great benefits to using more than one card. It does require you to be a responsible credit card user because the credit card debt hole is not an easy one to climb out of. If you use your cards only when you can afford to do so, which means only when you can pay them off each month, then using multiple cards can can be a good thing.
Here are 5 Benefits To Having More Than One Credit Card:
- Rewards Programs: Different credit cards offer different rewards programs. If you play your cards right, you can have cards that earn different rewards. For each dollar that you spend, you will be able to accumulate a certain amount of reward points. You can then use these rewards to buy a variety of different things that you might want. For example, you might be able to use these points to purchase airline tickets, hotel accommodations, meals, clothing, gift cards and more. A rewards card allows you to get something back for all of the money that you are spending. When you use multiple credit cards, you will be able to plan your purchases so that you can take advantage of the rewards that you really want. Plus some rewards programs have a limit to the amount of points you can earn. Multiple cards will allow you to keep earning once you reach the limit.
- Boosts Your Credit Score: One great way to improve your credit is to use a credit card. By having multiple cards you it will boost your credit score even more. If you are responsible with your cards and always make your payments on time then using multiple cards will look good on your credit history. However, it is important to note, if you are not responsible with your cards then this could be a serious hit to your score as well.
- Good For Emergencies: Using multiple cards could come in handy during emergencies. We never know what life is going to bring our way, but having available credit on your credit cards can help you deal with those unforeseen situations. This is also why its important to not max out your credit cards. You always want to have room on your cards in case you have to rely on your cards for an emergency.
- Financial Safety: One simple reason to have more than one card is for financial safety. If one card is lost or stolen and you have another card, then you still have access to credit. In addition, if one card is denied for some reason, you can always turn to one of your other cards if needed. Some experts even suggest if your an online shopper to dedicate one credit card for all your online shopping.
- Bill Pay: If you use your credit cards to pay your bills and you have multiple cards you can stagger your bill pay. This will allow you to line your credit card bills up with when you get paid. This is important because the best thing you can do when you use credit cards is to pay them off each months so you are not charged interest. This will save you a great deal of money in the long run and look great on your credit history.
Photo Credit: Phillip Taylor PT via Flickr